Friday, June 10, 2005

Silence in the Stacks

Scott McLemee looks for good, meaty academic librarian blogs with a kind of public intellectual feel and can't find any. He has a point. His proposed solution is an academic librarian group blog. Interesting idea, anyone interested?. Public librarians seem to have gotten out ahead of academic librarians on blogging.


Inside Higher Ed :: Silence in the Stacks: "What seems to be lacking, however, are blogs by academic librarians about the issues specific to their work AS academic librarians. As I tried to indicate in the piece, such a discussion might well have implications of interest to a larger public."

4 Comments:

At Friday, June 10, 2005, Blogger Michael White said...

I am dabbling in the art of blogging (personal), and at my insistance my boss has requested I look into creating a (professional) blog here. Not sure where this will go, but I'm certainly interested in connecting with other academic bloggers and any academic libraries with blogs.

 
At Friday, June 10, 2005, Blogger Michael White said...

I suppose I should have mentioned that I am Amanda, while Mike is my soon-to-be-spouse (and fellow academic librarian).

 
At Friday, June 10, 2005, Blogger Marc Meola said...

Hi Amanda,
There are some academic library blogs out there, mostly dealing with library news I think. Some people (Stephen Bell) are skeptical of the usefulness of library blogs for this purpose. This blog is mostly just for fun. Let me know if and when you get your blog up and feel free to e-mail me if you want to discuss blogs further.

 
At Friday, June 17, 2005, Blogger Marc Meola said...

Hey Derik! Sure I remember you. Glad you got your MLS. You're right, blogs are like crossword puzzles and acid, who's got the time? I'd like to talk more about a group blog though. Email me off the blog if you want to continue the discussion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home